Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lake Altitlan

We arrived yesterday around 1:30. I am still in a fog from lack of sleep before we left and didn’t sleep well last night. Yesterday was dream like, arriving in the airport, waiting for the shuttle, driving through guatemala city, villages, and windy roads.

They made me a special dinner last night. The chicken dish was spaghetti with a tomato sauce, tomato soup, brucetta, cucumber salad preceding it. I can’t have tomatoes on this diet so they made my chicken special with parsley, garlic and olive oil. It was very tasty, even more so because I was famished and exhausted, only having snacked all day. The couple next to us were speaking German, we did not have much interaction; which was okay because I could barely think, much less communicate.

The boat ride over was cramped, uncomfortable, and beautiful. A wooded cliff with birds turning concentrically, flocking away from the cliff and back, dusk settling over the lake as the sun set. All this I saw from my perch on the boat with a low ceiling and ten or so rough benches.

No comments: